Monday, September 6, 2010

Being Frugal for Sketches In Thyme and Welcome Top Tip Tuesday

Good Morning,

I was asked by Kim to do a tutorial for Sketches In Thyme, and at first I was stumped.  But then while cleaning up my desk I came across these photos of Karlye, left over bits from trimming my stamps,  and many left over coffee sleeves.  Then the light bulb went off.  I decided to show you some creative uses for items otherwise put in the recycle bin.

After taking this weeks Sketches In Thyme sketch, I immediately thought to use these corrugated sleeves to make the title.  I used my Sizzix Big shot and letter dies.  It flattened the cardboard a bit, but not horribly. I also used my circle punches on these sleeves to make the embellishments throughout the layout as well.
I then went into my recycling bin and removed a margarine tub and a bead jar lid. I got my inks out and inked up the rims to make the circles on the bottom left side of my layout. Within the larger picture you can see that my daughter used a dragonfly foam stamp, so I incorporated that into the sketch by stamping an cutting one out for the top embellishment.
I always save my left over rubber trimmings when I trim my stamps, and now I know why! I trimmed one into a triangle to use for the rays of sunshine underneath the title on my layout.

 This is the result of me being frugal, the definition being; economical in use or expenditure; prudently saving or sparing; not wasteful.

After reading my tutorial, I would love it if you left me some tips on what you do to re-use items in your house.  Some of you may be concerned about things being Acid Free.  I know you can purchase spray that will make things acid free. I do not have any as it is difficult to get in Canada, but my re-used items don't touch my photos that much so all should be well.  Not to mention I have a digital copy now.

Thanks for taking the time to read my tutorial.

Hugs

Tanya 

P.S  Did you know there is a new challenge blog called Top Tip Tuesday ,  every Tuesday they will post a tip of some sort to share with us.  If you post a tip throughout the week, be sure to head over and enter it into their challenge, you may become the lucky winner.  If you check out the blog, be sure to leave a nice comment, since this is the first challenge for them, it would be nice for them to get a friendly welcome.